Cough cough cough … is how it all began, followed by a runny nose, loss of appetite and sleep deprivation.
Babies first cold!
First time mom – not sure what to do, where to start… well I checked google here’s what it said:
- Check temperature – normal (if not maybe call 811 or ask your doctor about infant Tylenol or Motrin)
- Listen to chest
- Put humidifier in room
- Give baby a warm bath
- Give baby extra cuddles
- Put a bit of baby Vic’s on feet – put on extra pair of socks
- Keep baby inside where it is warm
- Let baby sleep
- Feed extra bottles
Lets face it – google is great! When Oliver got sick I immediately thought of when my parents would sit on the livingroom floor cross-legged looking through the medical encyclopedia when we were sick as kids. I find it funny when old memories pop into your head when you become a parent – really takes you back.
When I tried all googled options I asked my mom and sister-in-law what their tricks are/were:
- Sing to baby
- Vic’s strips in humidifier
- Coryzalia infant cold medicine
It is currently day 4 and Oliver still has a minor cough but his nose seems to be much clearer/booger free and his chest also seems to have loosened.
Mom’s lessons learned from babies first cold:
(these lessons were learned after little sleep, little food and catching Oliver’s cold)
- Don’t over stress
- Don’t loose too much sleep
- The cold will pass – just give your baby time to work his/her magic
- Sick babies make a tired mommy
- Enjoy the extra cuddles
- Give them a few extra baths
- Don’t forget to cheer yourself on – you’re doing great!
I hate seeing Oliver sick but I knew this day would eventually come and it will come again multiple times in his life. The best thing I can learn to do now is make a kick-a** chicken noodle soup that he will beg for in the up coming years.